The Uniting Church in Australia (the Church) believes that all people, including children, are made in the image of God. As a Christian community, we believe that God reaches out to us in love and acceptance, and that our relationships with each other should express love, care and respect. We believe that every person is precious to God and, in following Jesus' example, we engage in ministry practices which reflect these values and are compliant with the requirements of law.
Statement of Commitment
Broadwater Road Uniting Church is committed to providing safe places where people are cared for, nurtured and sustained, and commits itself to the care, protection and safety of all people, particularly those who are vulnerable. We commit to ongoing compliance to the requirements of the Working with Children (Risk Management and Screening) Act 2000, and the Working with Children (Risk Management and Screening) Regulation 2011, and adopt the Uniting Church in Australia Queensland Synod Safe Ministry with Children Policy. We will ensure the implementation of procedures and resources to assist our congregation to meet and demonstrate its responsibilities under the Act.
Information for parents
Our congregation has adopted the Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod) policy: Safe Ministry with Children; a culture of shared guardianship and will work within its processes to assist us in achieving this goal.
As we work to develop an extended network of guardianship, we aim to keep children in the church safe from harm. We have systems in place to help us:
- provide physical environments that are clean, well-maintained and free from hazards
- conduct activities that are appropriate for the age and abilities of the child
- screen the people who want to work with children and provide those who are approved with ongoing training, oversight and support
- maintain behaviours that are within the range of acceptable actions and interrupt boundary violations (inappropriate behaviours)
- encourage people to to speak up, raise concerns and provide feedback. This helps us to know when people are feeling safe and when they are not.
We have a system for handling concerns regarding children. Our document Complaints/allegations - CHILD outlines how matters are handled and who to go to for help. The policy, process and complaint forms are available at ucaqld.com.au.
We trust and pray that your relationship with our congrgation is uplifting, enriching and safe.